[nycphp-talk] more crappy programs: security focus 230 - 232

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Sun Jan 25 11:24:00 EST 2004

Hans Zaunere wrote:
>>Chris Shiflett wrote:
>>

>>>It doesn't take too terribly long to verify the validitity, or lack
>>>thereof, of what is mentioned on Security Focus relating to PHP. Maybe
>>>NYPHP could host a Snopes-like site for this type of thing. :-)
>

> Very good thoughts.
>

>>From: John Lacey
>>
>>I was thinking that it would be a really cool and helpful
>>project for interested NYPHP members to set up what amounts
>>to a 'honeypot' -- with a different twist -- for
>>proving/testing/evaluating/hacking/messing-with/bashing an
>>AMP platform/apps./utilities/whatever.
>

> Ditto here, too.  We have the horsepower to dedicate a server for this.  Also, we need to get our CMS solidified, at which point it'll be a snap for people to get content (from both aforementioned topics) online ASAP.  We'll need someone to head these efforts up...?

Hi Hans,

I'd like to volunteer to be involved with ongoing security
issues from a distance, like testing code, or contributing
to short (PHundamentals?) articles.  But we need at least
one local NYPHP member with more than a smattering of
knowledge and experience in this area (and that's not me at
the moment).  Since my main interest is in teaching people
who are newcomers to AMP and other OSS stuff, it is
critically important they start off with good coding
techniques (I teach PEAR Coding Standards) and especially
the security concerns and repercussions of what they're
doing.  It's easy to say "Never trust user input", but that
doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot unless you show people
the HOW of it and they code it up for themselves.

... steps off learning soap box...

I think NYPHP could provide an extremely valuable service to
the AMP community at large with an ongoing security focus on
both basic and advanced best practices.  In that regard, I'm
looking forward to Chris' Security book.

Let me know how I can help.
thanks,
John