[nycphp-talk] lost functionality after upgrading to PHP 4.3.4

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Wed Jan 28 14:24:45 EST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Dene Ulmschneider wrote:

> I recently installed "Gallery" which was dl'd from Sourceforge. The install
> gave me some problems and would not work correctly. After submitting a
> question to the forum - it was ascertained that the version of PHP on my
> server was a little old so I upgraded to 4.3.4 (I believe I was running
> 4.0.? or 4.1.?)
>
> Ever since I upgraded - I have been unable to use some of the functionality
> some web pages that contain php code. For instance:

Starting with PHP 4.2, the register_globals php.ini configuration
directive is set to Off. My assumption is that "Gallery" needs this to
be set to On to work correctly.

See http://us2.php.net/release_4_2_0.php for more details. Note that
it is easier to write insecure scripts when this is enabled, so
reenable this at your own risk.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!