[nycphp-talk] Draft of tutorial on creating rich web applications with XUL and PHP posted

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jul 1 12:00:22 EDT 2004

Ajai Khattri ajai-at-bitblit.net |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:

> Chris Snyder wrote:
>
>> I'm with Joel on this one -- I had no idea that XUL could be used to
>> provide client-side apps embedded in a web page.
>

> You mean, you've never seen this?
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mozilla/index.html

I was watching this in the Python world  (see Luxor and others) last
year. Sourceforge has had alot of activity in XUL-based UI stuff, some
of it tied to server side (Luxilla, etc).

I agree it would be good to have a talk, but can it be more in-depth in
the PHP tie in?
Off the cuff ideas:

- enhanced site functionality for Mozilla browsers (example of coding
interactive pages for IE and Mozilla, where Mozilla is the preferred
browser for powerful reasons)
(instad of all the reasons NOT to use IE< how about some reasons TO use
Mozilla?)

-XUL as authenticated JS - a long JS program becomes a very short,
easily inspected one, that pulls the bulk of it's instructions from my
PHP server (which is trusted). Doesn't this eliminate much of the
security concerns about js client side?

-=john