[nycphp-talk] SNMP really that "simple"?

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:01:33 EDT 2004

Jon Baer jonbaer-at-jonbaer.net |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:

>Is SNMP really that "simple"?
>
>Maybe its just me or does it sometimes seem like MIBS are so entirely complex that
>the name of the protocol does not do it justice?  I dont see that many PHP based
>admin tools, does anyone know of any?  It also seems like many of the hardware
>items Ive toyed around with are Ver 1 based vs. 3 ... its a protocol that screams
>for XML yet they stick with this SMI stuff.  Maybe someone w/ more SNMP experience
>can explain.
>
>- Jon

Just in case anyone is looking to start to play with SNMP, beware that
last I looked there were numerous problems with Microsoft's SNMP on
WindowsNT/2000, and that SNMP is clear text (so community passwords and
network device info are out in the open for all to see). There are IPSEC
solutions to the clear text issue, for those doing that.

Rabid SNMP devices flooding the network with SNMP transmissions; either
improperly configured devices, flawed implementations, or endless loops
that catch that tie up the service -- all headaches that are not often
worth the trouble. On most administered networks, SNMP devices are
flagged for attention by the sysadmin (unless part of her own deployment).

Of course if you are deploying a solution based on SNMP reporting, then
you need to deal with these issues anyway. I am just saying BEWARE as it
may not be a benign plug-in-play exercise for your network and its users.

-=john