[nycphp-talk] [ot] Web tree command available?

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Sat Jul 3 15:11:44 EDT 2004

Jon Baer wrote:

>Yep ... I have a few sensors laying around which speak SNMP (v1) and I
>have the MIB so I was thinking of a web interface for it, but it seems like a
>generic idea would be nice to have.
>
>Does having traps sent directly to email/sms make sense?  Im sure this
>occurs all the time ...

yeah, traps (aka alerts) are pretty handy... for example, say a core
router WAN link goes down.  That sends an alert to the monitoring
program (eg. HPOpenView) on the UDP trap port 162.   With an important
router link down, a support person will probably get paged automagically.

Ok, I've got a working php5 environment now and I'm using a small test
MIB with the snmp_read_mib() call.  I've gotten by that but cannot see
anything else with the usual print_r's.  Fired up my Zend Studio to have
a look-see with the debugger, and got a fatal error -- no such function
-- so... I'm in the process of downloading the new 3.5 Studio which
should take care of that problem, since the read_mib call is new in
php5.  29MB on a dialup... sheeesh.

stay tuned,
John