[nycphp-talk] AMP development: talk me into a G4 PowerBook ?

Stephen Musgrave stephen at musgrave.org
Tue Jul 6 22:13:29 EDT 2004

I owned nothing but PCs until I bought my 15" PowerBook (titanium
edition, dual hinge) in 2002.  After years of Apple propaganda hoisted
at me by my brother and the emergence of OS X, the switch was on.  I
have never been so pleased with a computer.

I should note that I did have some problems with OS X when it first
came out, but ever since the 10.1 series, it's bee perfect, not one
kernal panic (core dump) in two years.  (I am running 10.2.8 right now
and will leapfrog 10.3 for 10.4 which is not out yet:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/ )

I also had a hardware problem.  I have the dual hinge model which isn't
on the market any longer.  The hinge ceased up as I was opening the lid
and tore titanium lid pretty bad.  I have Apple Care, so I took it down
to the SOHO store and they boxed it up and shipped it out for repair
after a cursory glance a raised eyebrow of accomplishment.  The laptop
was delivered to my apartment 4 business days later.  Before they took
it in for repair, I also had them note that some of the paint around
the edges was pealing (due to the excessive heat the thing produces)
and that the battery life was diminishing.  They replaced *everything*
and it looked like I had a new machine if it weren't for the well worn
keypad!  I noticed that in the new models they've address the hinge
problem by going to a study single hinge design and the change
materials to a high grade aluminum which has absolutely not give at
all.  (The titanium ones bend a bit.)

I installed PHP and mySQL packages from Marc Liyanage's web site (a
well loved man in the OS X LAMP world.)

	http://www.entropy.ch/home/

O'Reilly's Mac Dev Center is a gem:

	http://www.macdevcenter.com/

Apple's site does a good job of rounding the edges:

	http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/

This is a PHundamental I wrote for setting up virtual domains for OS X

	http://phundamentals.nyphp.org/PH_virtualhosting_mac.php

Good luck!

Stephen