[nycphp-talk] OT: Pros and cons of PGP Desktop software for email encryption....

Fee, Patrick J (US SSA) patrick.fee at baesystems.com
Wed Jul 7 11:22:24 EDT 2004

Estemmed list memebers,

I need your help.  Once again I have been toosed into the deep end of an issue that is new to me.  WHile I enjoy learning new things... and explaining things to others is a great way to understand it yourself ... I need to turn to my professional brethren (and sistern?) to fill in the gaps.

A property law firm I support has been approached by one of their professional organizations to buy into PGP's Desktop software to encrypt emails.  Certain lending institutions (e.g.:Wells Fargo)are starting to require encrypted email correspondence.

However, the PGP Desktop solution (formerly PGP Enterprise) seems a wee bit expensive.  Are there any other solutions out there?  Do we HAVE to have the same solution as our clients?

I've gotten a Thawte certificate this week, although Thawte says "Thawte no longer offers nor supports PGP Keys."

I want to do right by my client... AND learn about the email encryption options for my own use.

Can anyone give me some feedback?

The email I received (with many question marks after it) is below.  The organization's names have been changed (e.g: FOOBAR) to protect their privacy:

In light of recent notification from Wells Fargo to encrypt email communications, and the anticipated need at some future time for secure transmissions between FOO Members and some of their financial service clients, the FOOBAR Network has established a relationship with a security software company - PGP Corporation. As you may or may not be aware, PGP Corporation has relationships with many of the well-known financial services companies. FOOBAR has reached an agreement with PGP Corporation to allow FOOBAR  to purchase PGP Desktop software at a discount: 25% off the retail price. This discount is available through FOOBAR directly, as they are acting as a reseller.