[nycphp-talk] PHP-related book comments

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Tue Jul 13 18:05:52 EDT 2004

Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> I don't know a more secure scripting language than python ...

care to elaborate?

Subject: RE: [nycphp-talk] PHP Scales, Our Chris Shiflett gets /.'d
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:12:02 -0700
From: "Hans Zaunere" <hans not junk at nyphp.com>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>

> I thought that's what scalability means. Being able
> adapt to change.
>=20
>  "How well a solution to some problem will work when
> the size of the problem increases"

Yeah, but that change is generally an increase in requests/second and
that problem is generally getting more and more users on your website.

Scalability or the ability to scale can mean many different things.  In
the web world, it generally reflects the ability of an application to
take on more and more load while maintaining a consistent level of
performance, responsiveness, reliability, and stability.  To do this, an
application has to be able to be distributed across multiple physical
servers.

For example, any piece of hardware - running any application - will
eventually become useless if a big enough load is put on it.  The
ability to scale is the ability to add additional hardware to distribute
the load across, without making significant changes to the application's
architecture each time a new server comes online.  The more hardware,
the more load your application can handle.  So you add one piece of new
hardware, and you can handle twice as much load as before - this is a
linear scale.

The ability to do this is really an architectural issue, which is why
Shiflett is exactly right.  It has less to do with your programming
language, database, or OS, than it does with your application's design.

Good design =3D=3D scalable
Bad design !=3D scalable

So why do so many people consider Java to scale?  Because this "good
design" and architecture is built into the language itself.  In other
words, Java (really, J2EE) has mechanisms for adding new servers and
sharing load and data between these new servers transparently (or, at
least that's the intent).  This allows new hardware to easily be added
indefinitely, thus handling increased load indefinitely, and thus scale.

Or so that's the theory.