[nycphp-talk] Basic security question

Phillip Powell phillip.powell at adnet-sys.com
Wed Jul 14 16:00:31 EDT 2004

Chris Bielanski wrote:

>I had a much longer response in preparation, but Andrew just nailed it.
>Obscurity is not security. And yes, it only stops the timid assailant. A
>determined cracker will take it *personally* that you configured your server
>to tell *lies* to its "friendly users"!! The NERVE!! He'll fix YOU, buddy!
>:)

I don't think they did it for the added "security through obsecurity"
inasmuch as the fact that they were PHP programmers that were working on
a federal government contract that mandated that everything web-wise be
done in ASP.  So that was their "workaround".  Not "obscurity" as much
as plain ol' foolin'.

Phil