[nycphp-talk] Basic security question

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Wed Jul 14 16:17:54 EDT 2004

Paul Reinheimer wrote:

>I never intended this to be the end all approach to my security (as
>some seem to be under that impression), but instead combine it with
>carefull coding, keeping packages up to date, apropriate firewall
>rules, etc.
>
>I hadn't really considered the trade offs to be that severe, but it
>certainly seems to be something I should look at more closely.
>
>I wasn't aware that tools capable of really determining what
>applications was really running were that wide spread, I saw that one
>had been updated recently on slashdot, but hadn't considered them that
>common in script kiddie world.

Here is a very good starting point to see just how many tools are available:

    http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

The swiss-army knife of scanners seems to be NMAP, with Nessus good for
purty reports and ethereal for snooping.  My favorite is ettercap, an
evil tool that enables you to poison a switch, therefore seeing the rest
of the traffic on that segment (that you weren't supposed to see).  I
got a great security story about that if anyone is interested off-line.  ;)

-- Mitch