[nycphp-talk] Basic security question

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jul 14 17:38:48 EDT 2004

You get some great advice out of the PHP community on some pretty
sophisticated stuff, because as we have all heard it ain't so much about
PHP as it is about the PLATFORM and the APPS. When the discussion
approaches ARP cache poisoning, you know there is some real depth to
this commuity :-)

Now let's make it also clear that when you step into the realm of
*security* (or privacy) you need to adddress the DATA in addition to all
else. Im my view it is essential that you:

-be able to restore your data easily and efficiently *at any time* (how
many can do that?) to the same or another system
-have nothing of high value to hackers available to hackers (not as hard
as it sounds, but the devil is in the details) e.g. translucent databases
-have a process in place (tested, secure, reliable) to respond to
compromise in the course of normal business (as normal as possible)
-determine and document and publicize (raise awareness internally ) of
the downtime and risks associated with your setup, so there are no
surprises if *everything* is lost. It should be just a normal business
event to rebuild/restore everything (planned to be a rare event, but not
a disastrous event)

There are many businesses that would not survive a fire - they would be
devastated and go bankrupt. Ditto for compromise or breech of servers
and networks. It doesn't have to be that way, and those who are prepared
will survive. Now, to get the costs of preparedness approved by
management.... that is another story.

-=john