[nycphp-talk] A little network help

LeeEyerman at aol.com LeeEyerman at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 00:01:22 EDT 2004

I have a ton of PHP and MySQL experience and I have decided to put a little
network in my apartment.  So I got my Linux box, I have two windows boxes,  I
have a single static IP, a Cisco router, and a manual?  Can anyone give  me
some pointers?  A path in the right direction?

1) What Linux should I use?  I have a free distribution of Red Hat  9?  Is
Fedora better?  Any advice?

2) Currently my router is dynamically assigning TCP/IP #'s to each  machine.
I know I have to set this up differently.  I want the linux  box to be a http
server, ftp, email, etc, and I want the windows boxes to have  access to the
net.  Any suggestions on how I should do this?  I think  I have to setup a
DNS, but with only one static IP I think this gets  tricky.  Any assistance would
be greatly appreciated.

3) Also, when I unpack RPM distributions and the RPM needs a library, where
is the best place to find it.  And if you can't find it what do you  do.  For
example, I was trying to install PICO under Red Hat and it kept  asking for
libncurses.so.5.  I check the web but could not find it.   Any help?

Thanks so much!
Lee