[nycphp-talk] A little network help

Hans C. Kaspersetz hans at cyberxdesigns.com
Fri Jul 16 09:45:34 EDT 2004

This all seems terribly complicated to set up a little routing between
three machines.  I have 4 machines at home each with a static IP
address.  I modified the hosts file on each machine to know about the
other three machines.  I use my router for DNS and routing to the
outside word.  This bypasses having to set up a dns server.  Each time I
add a new virtual server on a machine I update the hosts file on each of
the machines.  I do this for my linux box, Win2k box, OSX box, ect.

The hosts file can be found in, C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on
Win2k.  It is in etc/ in Linux and OSX.

Host file might look like this:

# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.103   ftp.linuxboxen
192.168.0.103    www.linuxboxen
192.168.0.104     Win98Boxen