[nycphp-talk] hows it done

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jul 21 22:59:49 EDT 2004

To confirm that the site in question is using referrer strings, turn
them off and see what happens. Open everyone's favorite browser (and the
crowd shouts "firefox"), and type this into the address bar:

about : config

Hit <enter> and you should get the Firefox configuration system (and the
crowd goes oooooooo-aaaaahhhhhhh.!!!!!)

In the filter box, put                refer

to see referer settings.  Set the "send referer header" parameter to 0
(mine was defaulted to "2" after a basic Firefox install, but YMMV).
That will block sending of referrers.

Re-visit the site in question and see what happens.

Note that many sites will lose functionality and some won't service you,
if you turn off referrer strings. If you want to test it, go to any of
those privacy screening tests (heres one:
http://www.pcflank.com/browser_test3.htm) and see if it passes the
"referer check".

(I can't resist opportunities to introduce people to Firefox's config
system.... it's so cool)

-=john
John F. Andrews