[nycphp-talk] $_SESSION, session_unset(), unset($_SESSION['var']), register_globals and the PHP Manual

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jul 23 19:10:37 EDT 2004

John Lacey jlacey-at-att.net |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:

> Daniel Convissor wrote:
>
>> <?php
>> unset($_SESSION['Phil']);
>> header('Location: http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html');
>> ?>
>

> A little over 10 years ago after leaving McDATA Corp. here in Colorado
> where I worked as a [maintenance] software engineer I made a phone
> call to one of the company's founders.  His name is Bruce Walsh,
> retired and playing golf now probably.  Well, Bruce was one of the
> sharpest tech people I've ever known and I worked with him from
> time-to-time on some pretty hairy IBM Channel and SNA software timing
> problems.  He wrote the channel code, the kernel, and was principal
> architect as well as mentor to many of the engineers.  I maintained
> the SNA code along with LAN &
> WAN (SDLC) subsystems.
> So much for the background.  What I called him about was to thank him
> for the times he helped me and for not making fun of the fact that I'm
> slow and have to struggle through information.
>
> I'm 58 years old now and I will never forget Bruce's kindness and
> condescension.
>
> There's a lot of sharp people on this list and I sure appreciate them.
> Then there's the rest of us :)
>
> John

I especially like the last part of the abstract of the cited paper:

"Paradoxically, improving the skills of participants, and thus
increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the
limitations of their abilities."

In other words, the more you know, the more you know you don't know.
Sounds right to me.

-=john