[nycphp-talk] Python SIG Created at New York PHP

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Sun Jul 25 21:12:03 EDT 2004

Hans Zaunere wrote:

> In light of some recent discussion about a Python user group in NY, I
> talked with some folks about getting something going for Python
> programmers.

and...if anyone wants a quickie python set up to play with, XAMPP has a
python addon too:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

John

Subject: RE: [nycphp-talk] XAMPP: Upgrading MySQL
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:02:26 -0700
From: "Hans Zaunere" <hans not junk at nyphp.com>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>

**puts on the MySQL hat**

> Also, as I said earlier, you can bundle SQLite with a product without
> paying any fees. While I know MySQL, AB now has a FOSS exemption to
> its GPL license, I don't believe you can sell a commercial application
> that uses MySQL 4.1 or greater as its backend without buying a
> commercial license from MySQL, AB.

Selling a commercial app that uses MySQL is no problem.  However, to
distribute MySQL itself, a license or participation in the VAR program
is required.  This is true for both client libs and the server itself.

The exception to this is if the application is GPL.  If the application
is publicly released under the GPL, then the GPL version of MySQL can be
distributed with it.  This, however, isn't generally an issue, since
most applications don't bundle a database.

> Actually, I think the issue is somewhat vague, as the current position
> seems to depend on whether MySQL is an integral part of your
> application.

It comes down to whether you include any MySQL code with your
application or not.  If MySQL client or server parts aren't included,
then there are no licensing fees.  However, the end user of your
application - assuming it's not GPL - will need a commercial MySQL
server license.

> I'm sure if I am wrong, Hans (or Zak) will correct me. I'm not trying
> to spread any FUD here, but I want to let people know that there have
> been some licensing changes in newer versions of MySQL that could
> affect them and it's something they need to consider.

At the end of the day, MySQL is released under two licenses; the GPL and
our commercial license.  We basically work in a "quid-pro-quo"
methodology.  That is, if you write an application that isn't GPL, want
to distribute client or server parts of MySQL, or otherwise make money
from MySQL's code in a non-GPL manner, the commercial license must be
used.

http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/

We protect open source development and bundling MySQL with open source
projects, like PHP.  This is protected by the FOSS exception.

http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/foss-exception.html

---
Hans Zaunere, Sales Engineer
MySQL, Inc.  www.mysql.com