[nycphp-talk] Backup

Eddie Haber php at haberco.com
Fri Jul 30 12:13:55 EDT 2004

I did this same thing recently for a project. Divide the tasks into two
scripts so you don't have to worry about network latencies.

DB_backup.php
DB_ftp.php

In DB_backup.php you just need to execute this command:

<?
exec("mysqldump --opt -u $USER --password=\"$PASSWORD\"  $DATABASE | gzip -c
> $LOCAL_FILENAME");
?>

(and manage some error trapping and logging if you want).
IN DB_ftp.php use the ftp functions:

<?

$conn_id = ftp_connect($HOST);
$login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $HOST_UNAME, $HOST_PWORD);
if ((!$conn_id) || (!$login_result)) {
    // print or log the next line
    print "FTP connection has failed. Could not connect to host: $HOST.";
    exit;
}

// put file
if ( ! ftp_put($conn_id, $REMOTE_FILENAME, $LOCAL_FILENAME, FTP_ASCII) )
{
    // print or log the next line
    print "Error copying file. Could not copy file to server.";
    exit;
}
else
{
    // print or log the next line
    print "Copy successful .";
}

// close connection
ftp_close($conn_id);

?>

The crontab -e and set something like:

5 0 * * *   php /path/to/script/DB_backup.php
10 0 * * *  php /path/to/script/DB_ftp.php

Hope this helps.
Eddie