[nycphp-talk] Pair Network's "security" model - could it be this bad?

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Tue Jun 1 13:19:26 EDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Jayesh Sheth wrote:

> In my current setup, a domain can be mapped to a directory in a certain
> user's root directory. Only that user can access any of the files in
> that user's directory.

Then the web server is also running as that user?

> Pair's method of hosting seems totally insecure
> and inflexible, and their workaround seems like a real pain in the you
> know where.

It works for me, I've been a customer for a while. Shared hosting entails
certain inherent security risks and you have to take steps to mitigate
them.

Shiflett has a nice piece about that kinda stuff in the latest issue PHP
Architect which they were handing out free-as-in-beer at the last NYPHP
meeting (-:

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?" -- Sopranos 24:17