[nycphp-talk] sending email from PHP

corey szopinski corey at domanistudios.com
Thu Jun 3 15:16:21 EDT 2004

I¹m not a sendmail expert, and I¹d bet that something is screwy with either
my sendmail configuration or with our local DNS setup. I also agree that my
problem is outside of PHP.

For example when I try to do manually what PHP does with the mail()
function:

    sendmail -v corey at domanistudios.com <out.txt

(the ­v tag makes it verbose, and <out.txt pipes in a basic text file as a
body).

This takes just as long as mail(): about 30-45sec.

Mike DeWitt¹s trick doesn't seem to be working either, and I think it¹s
because of this line:

putenv("PHP_SENDMAILPARAMS= -O DeliveryMode=defer -f $fromaddress");

Does anyone know if ³PHP_SENDMAILPARAMS² is something special that sendmail
listens for? I¹m not familiar with how PHP, environment variables, and
sendmail cooperate with each other. Can anyone explain this? Do I need to
tell sendmail to look for this environment variable?

I¹m interested in how sites are able to send out millions of emails a day...
there must be a simple way that I¹m overlooking.

-corey

On 6/3/04 3:03 PM, "Eric Rank" <erank at isthmus.com> wrote:

> sending email from PHPHi Corey,
>
> Sounds like an interesting problem. I've toyed with various mail sending
> scripts including phpmailer (http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net) and
> pear_mail_mime with pretty good luck in multiple configurations. In the
> configurations I've used, the script calls out to sendmail (in my case Exim,
> which is a nice drop-in alternative to sendmail) and places the mail in the
> que of the mail server. The script runs as fast as it can make a request to
> the mail server. That said, I think the problem is outside php. If you're
> experiencing problems communicating with sendmail, you might try clearing
> out the existing que first. It looks like Michael's suggestion is much more
> in depth than what I'm telling you though. I bet he's right on the money.
>
> I haven't dealt extensively with email address verification though. I've
> toyed around with various ideas, but as far as I know, outside of making
> requests to the MX of the domain directly, there's not an elegant way to
> handle it. In doing so, you're actually writing a mail server. Quite a task.
> As such, I've just had to deal with the replies to the sender's email from
> the email recipient's MX telling me that the address doesn't exist, or that
> the mailbox is full, or whatever.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing other people's solutions for email
> verification. It's such an important thing to do. There's gotta be an easy
> way.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Eric

DOMANI STUDIOS