[nycphp-talk] What does a 40k(ish) salary get me?

Fee, Patrick J (US SSA) patrick.fee at baesystems.com
Fri Jun 4 09:59:11 EDT 2004

Yes Phil.... welcome to my outsourcing nightmare.

Patrick Fee
Patrick.Fee at baesystems.com
240-401-6820

>> On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 17:18, Ophir Prusak wrote:
>>
>>> and I'm wondering - can I really get a "PHP Rock Star" with "thorough
>>> knowledge and experience in PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript" and "3+ years
>>> experience" for 40k?

40K will get you a "PHP Rock Star"... in India or Eastern Europe.

Phil

Phil Powell
Multimedia Programmer
BPX Technologies, Inc.
#: (703) 709-7218 x107
Fax: (703) 709-7219

Subject: RE: [nycphp-talk] sending email from PHP
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:01:06 -0700
From: "Hans Zaunere" <hans not junk at nyphp.com>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>

> I'm interested in how sites are able to send out millions of
> emails a day... there must be a simple way that I'm overlooking.

There are flags (which I've forgotten) that force sendmail to queue mail
only.  Searching for QueueOnly or something might help.

But as is the case with most things sendmail, it doesn't work so well
all the time.  Solutions tend on using a different MTA (postfix and
qmail queue by default, and let the calling process proceed almost
instantly).

That said, the real way to do it if you have tons of emails to send is
to fork() a process out.  This then continues to talk to your MTA, while
the web page returns immediately.