[nycphp-talk] OT: Solaris is going open source

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Fri Jun 4 20:45:07 EDT 2004

Hans Zaunere writes:

> > "Sun Microsystems Inc. this week formally committed itself to
> > releasing Solaris operating system code as open source, but
> > no final decisions have been made on the specific details..."
>
> "... no final decisions have been made on the specific details..."
>
> Call me pessimistic, but I read that as "...we'll release 1%
> of our code because we want the marketing buzz that surrounds
> Open Source to surround us since we're loosing market share
> left and right..."
>
> I hope that I'm wrong, since there's some good stuff deep
> within Solaris' code base, but it's going to mean a major
> shift for Sun.  That said, if they are legit and do release
> the entire tree, watch out Linux.

Oh yeah -- they are going to release the whole tree.

One thing of interest could be 'Solaris Doors' --
and the thread pools which support doors.

There was an (ill-fated) emulation attempt:
http://ldoor.sourceforge.net/ )

excerpted from the above link:
"Goal of Linux Doors (ldoor) project is to implement Solaris
doors API under Linux. Doors are fast intra-machine RPC interface.
Implementation consists of kernel part (written as device driver)
and user-level library emulating Solaris calls..."

After you 'harden' Solaris it can be made
incredibly secure.

If you add that all up  -- almost air-tight security, superior
threading model (in the kernel), and super speedy nfs i/o --
I would say watch out Linux *and* BSD

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com