[nycphp-talk] DB Differences

Jim Hendricks jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Fri Jun 18 10:36:59 EDT 2004

Well then, the real question is if the client needs to know how you do the
job.  I don't provide internal code/db design info to my clients, just the
interface design and overal nutshell process design.  This means on the
project your dealing with I would tell them process wise we have some kind
of sync process to put the access data into a db that's workable from the
web and then the website processes for the parents to be validated etc &
query the data. I wouldn't inform the client that the DB may not be the same
design as the DB they are providing.  If the DB for the website is static
( ie. no updates except through the sync ) then I would provide the client
the option to do a dump rather than sync.  This eliminates all the
complexity of determining what has changed etc.  Then your translator is
very straight forward.

>From the business perspective it would be interesting to find out how many
developers have provably gained more work because they refuse work which
would require too much developer design compromise.  My own experience has
been with companies that take work no matter the development compromise, the
only deciding factor on accepting projects were money.  Now that I'm
independent, I have turned down work based on a refusal to compromise,
although my willingness to compromise has become greater as I deal with the
desire to put food on the table for my family.

BTW, I'm a developer through and through.  I have been running my own
consultancy for 3 years and still don't call myself a businessman.  I'm
independant not because I want to be but because I lost my job right at the
end of the .com bomb and the beginning of IT hell and the job market was
drier than a cracker in the Sahara during a 30 year draught.  Thus said, I
am always looking for business based opinions of others and am very willing
to adjust my business view  accordingly.

Jim