[nycphp-talk] Zend PHP Certification

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.net
Fri Jun 18 10:02:59 EDT 2004

I would be ... for one the thing I feel that "messes things up" when it
comes to both certification and the process of learning any programming
language is both the books and resources that cover it and sometimes the
language itself ...

There are alot of security areas where it just seems like certain things
should just "happen automatically" yet you cant dictate how someone should
be able to code/style it ... and nearly every book has a different way to
go about it ...

<rant>
Here is one example - page 285, PHP Developer cookbook:

It shows that EscapeShellCmd() should pretty much *always* be used when
forking a process to read from ... yet its not something built-in nor
shown in the example but is merely "stressed" as being important ...

The same goes for DB usage ... would someone writing tons of code w/
mysql_query() be a "bad coder" when generic Pear::DB exists, yet plenty of books really
just jump right into the extension.  I didnt see Pear covered on the outline for the exam,
so Im hoping the 'PHP and database' section is generic since the cerification covers the
"language" itself.
</rant>

- Jon

--
pgp key: http://www.jonbaer.net/jonbaer.asc
fingerprint: F438 A47E C45E 8B27 F68C 1F9B 41DB DB8B 9A0C AF47