[nycphp-talk] Zend PHP Certification

Daniel Kushner kushner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 18:22:46 EDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:22:14 -0400, Tim Gales <tgales at tgaconnect.com> wrote:

> Maybe you could certify someone in a reduced
> skill set space like PHP running together with Apache --
> but there you'd be getting closer to the AMP style
> certification and away from the ZEND idea of certification.

Tim,
This is a very interesting thread and it is great to hear all the
different ideas and thoughts on certification in general and PHP in
specific. I especially liked Jon's "failing them proves to be quite
educational believe it or not" :)

I would like to respond to the last three word in your last paragraph:
"ZEND idea of certification". Although this is definitely Zend's idea
of certification, it is also the idea of a very respected group that
helped make PHP what it is today whether they be core developers,
library developers, book authors, educators, or evangelists (list in
no particular order). These people have worked very hard and have done
an amazing job. IMHO their creation is the best tool available today
that can demonstrate expert proficiency in PHP.

Of course being certified isn't a substitute for a job interview, a
personally check, or even another written PHP test. It is another tool
to help the enterprise in the hiring process and to help the PHP
community in showing their expertise. It also isn't a
one-size-fits-all solution for every PHP developer, but most I am sure
feel that is something the PHP community needs - now!

Best,
Daniel