[nycphp-talk] RE: sessionID and load balancer

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Mon Jun 21 14:41:34 EDT 2004

--- Christopher Hendry <chendry at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with sessionids over load balancer?

Yep. :-)

> I've got a situation where I've got three servers load balanced and
> the PHP session is being written/read from the database.
>
> I just want to be sure PHP has no issues with hitting a different
> server in that situation

Nope, that should work just fine.

> although the load balancer keeps track of IPs a redirects to the
> same server, in cases of AOL and others the user is likely going
> to hit another server.

This (server affinity) isn't necessary, so unless you need it for
something else, I wouldn't bother. Your load balancer can do its job
better if you don't restrict its ability to make a decision.

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security - O'Reilly