[nycphp-talk] Best way to handle LimitRequestBody $_REQUESTlimitation

Phillip Powell phillip.powell at adnet-sys.com
Tue Jun 22 09:41:42 EDT 2004

Hans Zaunere wrote:

>>Nice function, however, HUGE dilemma: the application that will use
>>

>this
>

>>function is designed to be fully portable, that is, it can run in
>>

>Apache
>

>>or IIS or anything that can run PHP.  That means everything in this
>>application needs to run equally in any webserver that can handle PHP,
>>

>>including this function.
>>

>Another huge problem is security.  The user that Apache/PHP doesn't
>always have read access to the conf files... I know on all of my
>platforms they don't.  This is not a solution, it's a hack.
>

>>This function works only if you're using Apache since it retrieves a
>>specific file /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf that has a value I need that
>>PHP itself cannot provide to determine the absolute limit of
>>a request.
>>
>>So how do I write this for IIS or any other PHP-friendly webserver?
>>

>And sure, it's totally not portable.
>
>There's no solution here that I can see.  As part of installing/setup
>directions for the application, you just need to mention these issues.
>It's not possible to always make an application totally portable, and in
>fact it rarely is.  Your application has some level of dependency that
>your end-user has to be aware of.

Crud. *sigh* Well, after making a checklist of requirements and
dependencies, my application
appears to work best in a LAMP environment (surprise surprise) and I've
taken your advice inasmuch
as noting in my documentation the need for allowances for minimal read
access to php.conf for the
webserver and/or webserver group.   Allowances for .htaccess are, for
now, only for error handling (although
I might allow for specialized .htaccess to free up LimitRequestBody to
unlimited per client request).

Thanx
Phil