[nycphp-talk] Karma Discounts on Security Seminar

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Wed Jun 23 10:24:17 EDT 2004

There have some cancellations for the Security
Seminar (given by Chris Shifflet) tomorrow
evening from 6:00 - 8:45 at the Masonic Hall
at 71 West 23rd St.
 directions at:
(http://www.tgaconnect.com/web/ssdirect)

This means there will be some (more) extra
seats available.

I can tell you I was more than a little
annoyed with one or two people, who from
the begging said that it would be great to
have affordable PHP training -- we support
you all the way (meaning go rent the
facilities and we will show up) -- and now
are not going to show.

My initial reaction, in an attempt to turn this
adversity (of people not showing) into an
opportunity was to offer discounts.

But after thinking about it for awhile, I
realized that that idea would only make
matters worse for training in the future.

People would wait and not commit to coming to
future seminars hoping to get in for a
discounted price.

That would make things considerably worse
in trying to plan and schedule the events
(that has been the major stumbling block
so far in getting this seminar series going --
people not making a more definite commitment
early enough to get things set up)

So my new idea is 'karma discounts'.

Here is how it will work:
If you use the information you gain from
the seminars in 3 hours of contribution to
a participating open source imitative, you
can receive up to a 50 percent discount on
the price of admission to the upcoming
seminar (and future seminars).

The discounts will be ongoing in the
future -- i.e. you don't have to wait
until the last minute and see if there
will be vacant seats (like flying standby
or something like that).

Sorry about the length of this post, but I
want to note something interesting about
karma.

The law of karma, says: `for every event that occurs,
there will follow another event whose existence was
caused by the first, and this second event will be
pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was
skillful or unskillful.'

Of course the 'skill' being talked about there is
really mental (and spiritual) attitude. But it makes
for an interesting parallel meaning when applied
to web development -- if you do something
(create a web app) without the proper skill set
the following (or resultant) event can be very
very unpleasant.

One last (thankfully -- I know this is too long)
remark on karma for the people who are already
planning to attend (mostly motivated, I realize,
by trying to help get the training program off
the ground):

Thank you, and I hope that destiny, fate, or
whatever you want to call it, boomerangs (as it
often does) and (more than) repays you for your support.
I have more than a strong inkling that attendees
just might receive a lot more understanding than
they 'bargained for' (it could happen).

To close, let me quote Woody Allen's metaphysical
words of wisdom:

"Eighty percent of success (in life) is showing up."

Woody Allen.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com

P.S.

Anyone interested in coming to security seminar,
please contact me off list..

Tim G.