[nycphp-talk] IIS server exploit with malicious js injection spawned during PHP Security Seminar

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:40:55 EDT 2004

Well, after an excellent 2.5 hours of practical PHP security training
from Mr. Shiflett last night (thanks tgaconnect!), I check my email and
learn that a server exploit has injected malicious js code into footers
of website pages, with the js designed to exploit an M$ IE flaw,
secretely downloading the Scob trojan

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/download_ject.mspx
and http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/

Wow.... talk about timing!  In hour 2 last night Chris Shiflett
explained and demonstrated cross site scripting vulnerabilities and
cross site request forgeries - along with several clever means used by
villains to get the js code onto  so-called "secure" systems so it could
be unknowingly redistributed (and of course, we learned how to prevent
that with good PHP practices :-).

Now I  see a real world example with my morning coffee - that appears to
have been spawned either just before or during the security course!
How's that for "enhancing cognitive perseverance" !

(yes, I know this example exploits a server flaw and a crappy browser as
opposed to sub-optimal PHP coding, but it is remarkable to see a js
injection so similar to what we went over last night, and it drives home
the importance of putting the proper PHP in place on our PHP systems -
to prevent the same attacks)

-=john