[OT] [nycphp-talk] Gif -> Png or Jpeg

Chris Bielanski Cbielanski at inta.org
Fri Jun 25 13:58:29 EDT 2004

Let me see if I follow the sordid details as Jeff opened them...

I am of the understanding that the GIF format is a bitmap compressed with
run-length encoding (RLE). What I don't really have information about is
this: Does Recursive-RLE mean LZW and vice versa?

Maybe I should re-read or find anew the whitepapers I consumed a couple
years back when I was going to make a realtime palette-rotator for GIF
images. and some more on the Lempel-Ziv and Lempel-Ziv-Welch algorithms. The
sad part is I can remember what the alphabet soup means, and can even
visualize the chunk processing for loading a gif-stream, but I coulnd't tell
you what LZW actually is, or how it applies to GIF formatting.

Also, how does PNG compress itself without using LZW?

Thanks,
Chris Bielanski
Web Programmer,
International Trademark Association,