[nycphp-talk] 21 Rules of Thumb - How Microsoft develops itsSoftware

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jun 26 17:33:57 EDT 2004

Hans Zaunere hans-at-nyphp.com |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:

>>>http://blogs.msdn.com/David_Gristwood/archive/2004/06/24/164849.aspx
>>>

>>Name one instance where M$ released "great software on time"
>>or for that matter even "software on time".  Not once I can determine.
>>

>True, there is some marketing hype in there, but considering the scale
>and complexity of having to release Windows, there is some merit in
>their song and dance.

Well I didn't mean to imply M$ is sans merit - I agree that would  be
wrong. But to preach practices which are pie-in-the-sky, and say they
come from M$ experience, when M$ hasn't succeeded in doing most of it,
strikes me as incorrect.

I agree completely that some of the points are honorable; I just don't
see them as practical or based in reality as they should be if they were
a product of experience. I get annoyed when they are projected as worthy
because they come from the giant, with an implication that Microsoft
accomplishes them, when that is generally not true.