[nycphp-talk] OT: Need help with XP and HP LaserJet 2200

Phillip Powell phillip.powell at adnet-sys.com
Wed Jun 30 10:21:12 EDT 2004

Bill, see below, thanx!

Kamm, William R (Bill), ALABS wrote:

>Here is how I set mine up on my home network:
>
>1. Assign the printer an IP address.  For example, 192.168.1.___.  I
>can't help you with this, you need to look that up in the manual.

We've already done that step a long time ago as a matter of fact.  I was
able to even view the webpage generated by opening a browser and putting
in the IP for the printer on the "good" and "bad" machines.

>2. Click Start --> Settings --> Printers and Faxes, then Add Printer.
>
>3. Click Next on the first wizard page.
>
>4. This is where Microsoft screwed up.  DON'T click the "Network
>printer" radio button.  Instead, click "Local printer attached to this
>computer".  Yeah, it makes no sense at all, but it works.  Uncheck the
>"Automatically detect" checkbox, and click Next.

All of the other PCs are set up this way already for configuration with
the printer.

>5. Select the "Create a new port" radio button, and select "Standard
>TCP/IP Port" from the dropdown list.  Click Next.

Actually, that port had already existed.  For good measure I deleted
that port and recreated it entering the IP address (see Step 7).

>6. As the next screen says, make sure the printer is powered on and is
>on the network.  Click Next.
>
>7. Type in the IP address, and the port name will be automatically
>filled in.  Click Next.
>
>8. After that, just follow the prompts to find your printer from the
>list, assign it a name, and print a test page.

Bill, I did all of that last night, to no avail.  It would still not
print when set up this way; even though the other machines were set up
exactly in this format to a tee and can print, the 2 other machines
could not.  I had managed to connect to a network printer using the
network domain workgroup name and it worked until this morning - no
explanation whatsoever, it just stopped working!

Phil Powell
Multimedia Programmer
BPX Technologies, Inc.
#: (703) 709-7218 x107