[nycphp-talk] Animated sprites in PHP

Chris Bielanski Cbielanski at inta.org
Wed Jun 30 10:39:28 EDT 2004

Dude, do you ever sleep? :)

I'll be playing more with this when I'm suffering from insomnia. Thanks for
writing it up!

Thanks,
Chris Bielanski
Web Programmer,
International Trademark Association,
1133 Avenue of the Americas, 33rd Floor
New York, NY 10036
+1 (212) 642-1745, f: +1 (212) 768-7796
mailto:cbielanski at inta.org, www.inta.org
INTA -- 125 Years of Excellence

Subject: RE: [nycphp-talk] suggestions for re-training of a junior
	VB/.netprogrammer
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:36:07 -0700
From: "Hans Zaunere" <hans not junk at nyphp.com>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>

> I have a friend who hired a junior programmer/relative (!)=20
> who has only worked with VB and VB/.net on IIS. He =20
> recognizes the need to re-track this person onto PHP on his=20
> existing LAMP platform.

Excellent...

> He wants a short-time-duration (inside 6 months) plan to=20
> bring the programmer up to speed, so he can assume similar=20
> level responsibilities on LAMP. The idea is to avoid=20
> expensive text-book style training, and also avoid 1:1=20
> dedication from the senior people at this stage (he wants to=20
> get him at least to the junior scripter level first).

The best way to learn is to do.  As already mentioned, tell him to bring
a LAMP box online and have him write a couple applications.  Start with
real simple stuff, then grow into more complex applications.

Another effective way of learning is to hack around with someone else's
code.  For instance, take a small, fairly well written PHP application
and tell him "it does X now, I need it to do Y".

> I am not sure howmuch of a self-starter this person is, but=20
> that is what needs to be determined IMHO.

Absolutely...

> I suggested he send him to NYPHP meetings and have him give=20
> briefings to the company staff afterwards, perhaps do demos=20
> for them, etc.
> I want to suggest workshops and training seminars as well.
> I would like to refer him to install fests that are=20
> newbie-friendly (SuSe, BSD, RH ok) I could even see him=20
> benefitting from LAN parties that are *nix based, if possible.

http://gnubies.org might be a good start, although generally Linux
specific.  http://nycbug.org is newbie friendly, but of course BSD
specific.  I think sending him to NYPHP meetings is a good bet, since we
generally have a wide variety of talent at the meetings that he can talk
to over a couple of beers.

> Can you all suggest where to look for inside-6-months=20
> training / experience activities, so I can pass along?=20
> Perhaps there is a website with local NY/NJ activities like=20
> this, or a central listing of local AMP user groups?

Not specific to AMP, but there's:

http://home.netcom.com/~casandra/linux/calendar.html

Also, I know we had talked about free workshops/install fests/ for AMP,
which seems inline with exactly what he needs.  We could even have one
for "Moving from VB to PHP."  This might be perfect motivation to get
this project underway, especially if we can find some free space to hold
the event at.