[nycphp-talk] Good PHP Apps (Was: suggestions for re-training of a junior VB/.netprogrammer)

Jeff Siegel jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Wed Jun 30 13:49:40 EDT 2004

I go back to the VB3 days and have used VB4 and VB6. When .NET came out
I said, "Dot to heck with that!"

As for making the shift to LAMP, this was the approach I took (not all
that different from what had been proposed by others).

a) Got an old PC.
b) Got RH Linux 9 bible and learned to set up and configure Linux and
set up a web server (the PHundamentals article at
http://phundamentals.nyphp.org/PH_virtualhosting.php is based, in part,
on my experience with setting up a server). I had to reinstall it four
or five times till I got it right.
c) Installed Putty and got used to using SSH.
(Note: the above (a,b,c) required learning how to set up services; using
basic commands such as ll; mkdir; less; grep; how to set up permissions;
how to use Pico, etc. All this stuff learned from setting up a box is
useful.)
d) Picked up a bunch of books some of which are listed here
(http://phundamentals.nyphp.org/PH_bookrecommendations.php) though I
would now add to the list Rasmus/Lerdorf "Programming PHP" and
Williams/Lane "Web Database Applications" which has a great application
to learn from.

I would not recommend throwing a VB coder into the land of "classes and
objects" in PHP until the programmer has more familiarity with the
workings of PHP. The syntactical differences between VB (pre VB.NET,
that is) and PHP take a bit of getting used to.

Jeff Siegel