[nycphp-talk] MVC Framework opinions

Allen Shaw ashaw at iifwp.org
Mon Mar 1 18:05:44 EST 2004

I'm using Smarty templates now for "my first big project," which is an
database that was basically ported to php/mysql from ms access.  We extend
Smarty with a custom class that runs a few extra things (checks permissions
for different templates and different data processing actions based on
login, etc.) and then uses Smarty to parse the templates.  It's great and
very flexible and allows my brain to keep thinking in terms of "data entry
form, module, etc." as I did with MS Access.

However I feel I honestly have not been able to do as good a job with
"splitting up logic from presentation" as I'd like to.  It's a judgement
call and a thread that comes up here and there on the Smarty forums: how
much do you have to / want to keep them separated?    Since I'm the only
developer on this team, I have, of course, both a lot of flexibility and a
lot of chances to write lazy code.

All in all, though, Smarty and our little extension of it, are serving me
well, and I think I probably am limited more by my own lack of programming
experience/discipline than by the framework itself.

- Allen

Allen Shaw                                  ashaw at iifwp.org
IIFWP Data and                           914.631.1331 x.106
    IT Services                        http://www.iifwp.org