[nycphp-talk] MySQL and ORDER BY kludging

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Wed Mar 3 12:15:44 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Chris Bielanski wrote:

> Based on the docs, we'd have to make the leap from MySQL 3.5.x to <= MySQL
> 4.1.0 and soon after (or concurrently) migrate to mysqli_*().

I am currently trying to figure out the best way to make this move.

My current thoughts are to first move to MySQL 4.1, then migrate to
PHP 5, then migrate to ext/mysqli.

This requires you to run MySQL 4.1 in backwards compatability mode
w/r/t password authentication until you make the final jump to
ext/mysqli, but I think it's worth it to ease the transition burden
because you won't need to make two simultaneous migrations.

It also allows you to start using ext/mysqli in your new projects
ASAP. Additionally, I think think that a server-side MySQL feature
like collation would still be accessible using the older ext/mysql
extension.

However, all this needs some serious testing. Right now, it's just
theory. :)

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!