[nycphp-talk] we need a PEAR book

Dave Callaghan dcallaghan at linuxmail.org
Fri Mar 5 11:55:24 EST 2004

The only resource that I've ever found that actually works consistently is to actually read the code itself.

This isn't a smart-assed RTFC comment, bcs I would knock you down to get a PEAR book. I LOVE good documentation and I feel the lack of it takes away from the quality of the application itself.

But after repeatedly reading sparse tutorials or just getting NADA-doc dumps, I don't even watse my time anymore. There is good news when you go this route, though. First of all, PHP isn't Perl; you can read it even if you didn't write it. Secondly, there are often nice samples included with the package and the code is very clean.

The package that finally took me over the edge was HTML_QuickForm_Controller. If you use and love HTML_QucikForm, which I do, and you make a lot of multi-page applications and wizards, which I do, this is a magnificent package.

But can you get it to work?

First, google around a bit. Get nice and frustrated. Now, go to the source and open the samples provided. You'll be up and running suprisingly quickly.

So, I can't WAIT to get a good PEAR book. But in the meantime, I block off a chunk of time to read the code and any samples they may give me. In the end, its still quicker than rolling it yourself. But it isn't as quick as a nice reference would make it.