[nycphp-talk] Does PHP (versions 4+) offer an alternative to Java RMI?

Daniel Krook danielk at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 11 18:29:40 EST 2004

> The Java servlet returns
> a java String[] serializable object, which normally would go to an
> applet.  What would you recommend I use, either in Java, preferably in
> PHP, that could read this object and properly handle it?

Not sure if this will help, but...

You can have the remote servlet deconstruct its remote array of Strings and
then send you a GET request in the format:
/clientpage/?stringItem=This+String&stringItem=That+String

You can then reconstruct the String[] locally in Java (or a PHP equivalent)
with this:
String[] arrValues = request.getParameterValues("stringItem");

Check out the Java Servlet APIs for more information on how it handles
requests and responses over HTTP:
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest.html
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html

Daniel Krook, Application Developer, Production Services, ibm.com
1133 Westchester Avenue, White Plains, NY 10604
Tel: (914) 642-4474, Tieline: 224-4474
danielk at us.ibm.com

Contractor BluePages profile in exile:  http://info.krook.org/
"Sharing expertise should be viewed as a collective commitment to the
success of IBM's New Agenda - on demand."