[nycphp-talk] Re: [nycphp-jobs] PHP job opening

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Fri Mar 12 17:55:24 EST 2004

felix zaslavskiy wrote:

> I am thick and tired of these elitist job postings.
>
> Most people who are familiar with my work know I can accomplish pretty
> anything. But again my resume would not even pass the small test in this
> case.
>
> Maybe the guy who wrote this didn't get the memo that php is relatively
> easy language and that its no c++. Its also not so hard to create a web
> base report from a database. Its not like you have to create complicated
> statistical models.  There is absolutely nothing in this description
> that would suggest that its nothing more then an entry-level position
> form someone out of school.

No, that part of the discussion happens when you negotiate your rate.
The process is followed thusly:

THE ADVERTISEMENT

"The candidate must possess supernatural skills, be capable of working
without sleep, have the complete software design processes mastered from
requirements to maintenance, and be expert at programming, databases,
and systems integration.  This project is critical for the success of
the business, and the applicant must respond well to immense pressure to
perform and very tight deadlines.  Required certifications are:  CISSP,
MCSE, RHSE, and BYOL.  Applicant must also be a 47th-level blackbelt
regarding security, and have a master's degree in something mostly
relevant.  Methodologies required are RUP, MVC, PDQ, XYZ..."

THE COMPENSATION PLAN

"As this is a junior-level position with minimal strategic relevance in
the day-to-day operations of the business, the job will be starting out
at the rates applicable for an 18-year-old.  In about 10 years, if the
company is still solvent and you haven't been relieved of your duties by
one of the forty-seven mid-level managers that you will be reporting to,
you may qualify for a possibly measurable raise."