[nycphp-talk] need urgent help with MySQL indexing problem

Phil Powell phillip.powell at adnet-sys.com
Wed Mar 17 16:12:57 EST 2004

Ahh.. it WAS a Cartesian product in the long run.. I found this one
buried query somewhere in the mountain of code that pulls up a few other
list pages (pages of lists of interns) and the query indeed pulls a
Cartesian product (including in one instance a boatload of empty rows to
display on the screen).. thanx for your help!

Phil

John Lacey wrote:

> Phil Powell wrote:
>
>> John Lacey wrote:
>>

>>> prolly got a Cartesian product in the query...
>>

>> Actually, some of the queries could be producing Cartesian products,
>> but there are those that simply have this:
>>
>> SELECT id, fname, lname, gpa, major, minor FROM interns ORDER BY
>> lname, date desc
>>
>> For queries such as these (this is one of the queries that has on
>> occasions thrown the Fatal Error upon attempt to use mysql_query()
>> upon this statement (occurs in about 5 different scripts now).
>>

> seems the query as indicated above, would not yield a CP, since it's
> only a single table... I notice you're ordering by some columns that
> are not in the requested list of fields you want returned... if you
> can duplicate it, either try eliminating the date and desc in the
> ORDER BY clause or include them in the SELECTED field list...
>
> doing this may lead to some further insights...
>

> however, have you thought of the possibility that

Phil Powell
Web Developer
  ADNET Systems, Inc.
  11260 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 403
  Reston, VA  20190-5203
Phone: (703) 709-7218 x107   Cell: (571) 437-4430   FAX: (703) 709-7219
EMail:  Phillip.Powell at adnet-sys.com      AOL IM: SOA Dude