[nycphp-talk] more about SUSE ( 9.1 will support Linux 2.6 kernel)

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Fri Mar 19 15:46:20 EST 2004

OK, let me try to redeem myself after that last wiseassery:

"The new 2.6 Linux kernel enables the efficient distribution of hardware
resources, for example guaranteeing high-quality music and video
performance even as other applications are started and run simultaneously.
The DMA mode also accelerates CD and DVD burning. The Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture (ALSA), which is spearheaded by Novell's SUSE LINUX business
unit, is now an integral component of kernel 2.6. ALSA supports most
common sound cards and provides diverse audio functions. Kernel 2.6 boasts
an improved ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
implementation, enabling more-efficient power management and extending
battery operation time for laptops."

 ---http://www.suse.com/us/company/press/press_releases/archive04/91.html

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, David Mintz wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 epaul at speakeasy.net wrote:
>
> > What are the added benefits the Linux kernel 2.6 will offer vs the 2.4 kernel?
> > Evan
>

> Well, 2.6 is .2 higher than 2.4.
>
> PS It's Friday afternoon, that means we're allowed to be silly.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?" -- Sopranos 24:17