[nycphp-talk] Secure (XML-RPC) connection

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Wed Mar 24 10:03:10 EST 2004

Faber Fedor wrote:

> The client insists that this be done in real-time, so I can't have a
> copy of the database on the web server.
>
> Any ideas?

I am a unix guy, so I don't know how to implement this in the Windows
world - keep that in mind.

One approach I took in the past was to use ssh and port forwarding (e.g.
forwarding port 9876 on the webserver to 80 on the production machine).
  Then set tcpwrappers to only allow localhost access to port 9876.
That way your xml-rpc calls can go to localhost:9876...

You are now talking on a ssh-encrypted tunnel to the production machine.

Does that fit the bill?

-- Mitch