[nycphp-talk] enabling gd on Unix

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Wed Mar 24 10:55:28 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Rafi Sheikh wrote:

> Hello folks, thank you for your time and answers.  I will drop this thread
> since the sys admin is vehemently adamant that he will only install from the
> CD that came with the server (IBM), and it is pre-compiled, and does not
> have gd enabled, plus PHP is 4.0.6, plus jpgrpah won't work either...b4 I
> shoot him I better give up-  Sigh!

4.0.6 is from June of 2001. It's so ancient, it's pretty much
unsuported by everyone. More importantly, it's also missing a variety
of security-related patches.

See "File Uploads Security Fix" on
http://www.php.net/downloads.php. There's a patch for 4.0.6 (and a few
others versions of PHP). There's also problem with the
--enable-memory-limit configuration option.

If your sys admin thinks he's being safe by using the copy of PHP from
the CD, he's completely wrong.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!