[nycphp-talk] readfile make single and double quotes odd characters.

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sun Mar 28 19:00:49 EST 2004

--- leam <leam at reuel.net> wrote:
> I'm using readfile (PHP 4.3.3 on Apache 1.3.29) to read an html
> formatted text file. In my browser and in the actual file the
> single and double quotes are fine, viewed remotely from the host
> they are odd (http://warflute.org)

I don't quite follow what you're explaining here. What looks fine in your
browser, exactly?

At first glance, this sounds like Microsoft Word might be involved
somehow. It replaces single quotes, double quotes, hyphens, and ellipses
with invalid characters. There is a way to disable this in Word, and I
seem to recall some software written to substitute the real characters for
these invalid ones. I can't seem to find it at the moment, however. I'll
look harder if this is in fact your problem.

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security - O'Reilly