[nycphp-talk] Output Buffering and Blank Page

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Mon May 24 05:11:15 EDT 2004

> > So at this point this little hack is working great in my
> staging area.
> > How will this scale to all of our users?  Is it safe to put
> the html
> > (about 1k) into the sessions for that many people at the
> same time? Am
> > I going at this problem all wrong?
>
> I'm by no means an expert is browser and JS tricks, but it
> sounds like a clever way of doing it.  Clever enough even for
> a presentation?  :)  It seems to be a common issue people
> need to resolve.

I would have to agree.  As well, take a look at how the travel sites, like
expedia and orbitz do it.  From what I could tell, they have a basic
animated image showing during page load, and once the page is finished some
js outputs to hide the loading stuff and load the data.  I've used their
method in the past and it worked well.

I've also seen a few people do the same with file uploads since php can't
grab the file headers as well as asp and perl can to show uploading info.

I would imagine both those sites run fairly well with heavy traffic (as I'm
sure they get far more day to day traffic than the majority of the things
I've worked on thus far).

Mark