[nycphp-talk] using PHP for an offline / CD-ROM presentation

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Wed May 26 12:16:41 EDT 2004

You might consider a Linux Live CD setup, with instructions for the user
to boot from the CD.

Knoppix and Gentoo come to mind... they boot fast and are way
compatible, and you end up in a full LAMP environment for running your
ap. Not sure of licensing issues but you can check that out.

I did this with a library situation where they had a bunch of old PCs
networked but unworthy of M$ upgrades. Booted them all with a liveCD and
custom desktop, and never looked back (486's and PII's still running
virtually overhead free to this day).

If you like this idea, check out the K12 linix project for an example of
how some guys did this really, really well (although they use RH and not
a liveCD, because they need alot of stuff)

http://www.k12ltsp.org/

-=john