[nycphp-talk] OpenSource Project Management [was OpenSource CMS]

Tom tom at supertom.com
Mon Nov 1 11:32:17 EST 2004

We're playing with Trac, and it definitely has some cool features.
IMHO, dotproject is the only system that does project management in the
"traditional" sense.  PM systems really shouldn't be concerned with
contacts, email, tickets, CVS etc.  That's creeping into groupware, with
a software slant.  If that is what you are looking for, that works, but
when you have higher ups logging in to get info about the project
process, that just isn't going to fly.

(BTW, checked out Eventum for Bug Tracking - Nice!)

I found dotproject to be the best of the bunch to meet this goal, EXCEPT
that we have found that it doesn't seem to crunch all the numbers
correctly - the percentage complete doesn't jive with the hours
completed.  It is a complicated thing, as you need to roll up all of the
subtasks to do this, and it must have gotten lost in the logic
somewhere.  Also, it appears to be active, but there hasn't been a new
release since March.  I've been using a CVS version which I grabbed in
August, but we had to hack in our own reporting (it is weak on
reporting).  We've submitted a few patches to it, but I think we may
switch to something else if the issues aren't resolved.

Tom
www.liphp.org

What's Tom Listening to Right Now?
http://www.supertom.com/current_track.php