[nycphp-talk] [OT slightly] state of the market for PHP programmers

Daniel Krook krook at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 1 17:13:38 EST 2004

> This appears to be a clear violation of the IRS rules for independent
> contractors, *and* it was posted by the employer (not a job shop).

>> Position will begin as contract work, but
>> we are hoping to be impressed enough to make a full-time offer towards
>> the end of the contract.

These type of "trial period" contracts directly with employers seem to be
more and more common these days.  The most often quoted time frame I see
is 6-month contract to hire, and it applies to developers - regardless of
the specialty - as well as web producers and project managers in many
cases.  Sometimes it's an accurate and good faith description of how the
employer views its committment to you as a labor producer, many times not;
regardless of performance.

As I understand it, the limits of working 40 hours per week as a
contractor top out at 18 months, in which case the "project" or core
function to which you are assigned must change, or you must have a 6 month
break before working on the same project again.  Ways around this are to
set up a legal entity for dealing corp-to-corp with the company, or to
work for a contracting agency middleman who becomes your proxy "employer"
despite working on site for the first party.

The former entitles you to deduct many things including rent and car
payments, among other things, but requires more work to maintain and plan
paperwork-wise. The latter has the advantage of taking care of most tax
related paperwork as a W2 but rarely provides any benefits and will leave
you a bitter and twisted shell of a human being in a relatively short
amount of time.

But yeah, this job description is legal, AFAIK.

Daniel Krook, Application Developer
WW Web Production Services North 2, ibm.com
1133 Westchester Avenue, White Plains, NY 10604

Personal: http://info.krook.org/
Persona: http://w3.ibm.com/eworkplace/persona_bp_finder.jsp?CNUM=9A9796897