[nycphp-talk] NEW PHundamentals Question - HTTP Authentication

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:14:56 EST 2004

I just discovered a really great reason to use PHP's built-in support
for HTTP authentication.

At work, we have a PHPWiki set up for some of the developers. It's
completely private, you have to log in to view anything. It also has
an RSS feed that you can use to track recently edited pages.

If PHPWiki used HTTP authentication, then team members could use a
Newsreader to keep an eye on recent edits, because they could embed
the login information in the URL:

http://username:password@intranet/wiki/index.php/RecentChanges?format=rss

But since PHPWiki authenticates via an HTML form, there's nothing they
can do. So I guess I won't call this a silly feature anymore.

   chris.