[nycphp-talk] [OT] Virtual Dedicated Servers

Adam Fields fields at surgam.net
Fri Nov 5 21:31:31 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 06:14:45PM -0800, Hans Zaunere wrote:
[...]
> At the end of the day, a VPS/VDS gives you all the root functionality
> you need for an AMP deployment, and you wouldn't even notice that you
> are in fact sharing the hardware with someone else.  This also means
> that it's unlikely there are any services running; although they might
> be nice enough to get some level of email running for you.
>
> The only production level implementation of this is using FreeBSD jails,
> which is deployed using this technology:

That's poppycock. I run several production systems (+100K PV/month) on
linux virtual servers.

They're just fine for many sites.

Again - I'd check out rosehosting.com. They come preinstalled with a
bunch of stuff (you can do your own DNS if you want), and their
support is good. Tell 'em I sent you.

--
				- Adam

-----