[nycphp-talk] How did you learn PHP (and programming)

Peter Sawczynec psaw at pswebcode.com
Tue Nov 9 10:44:16 EST 2004

Step One:
Don't' spend money on beginner's books. Start by reading the basic books
right there in the store like at a Barnes & Noble.

A.) Learn about PHP and the Apache web environment first:
"PHP: Your Visual Blueprint for Creating Open Source, Server-Side Content"
by Paul Whitehead.
This book is real good for absolute beginners with lots and lots of screen
captures.

B.) Then get a handle on SQL, the language:
"Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes, Third Edition" by Ben Fort.
Step by step for learning SQL.

C.) Then get a grasp on MySQL by seeing it in basic action:
"PHP and MySQL for Dummies" by Janet Valade.
At first, learn about MySQL tangentially.

Step Two:
Look at and absorb as much of the intermediate books in the store also. Buy
only one. The one that talks to you most.

Step Three:
Sample all the expert books in the too. Expert books are the only one's you
will need at home/office. Buy two.

Secretly, I've used the "...for Dummies" series. Always a reliable, great
intro to any programming topic(s). Just don't buy. Read 'em in the store.

Finally, go mano a mano with Wrox books. When you really have to know a
concept, you are going to have to turn to advanced/expert Wrox. Period.

Generally, I've found that I can pretty thoroughly grasp any difficult new
programming concept by studying it via three different books/manuals.

Concurrently, read tutorials on the web a lot. There are a lot of sources,
but I found that www.phpdeveloper.org covers a lot.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec,
Technology Director